What to Do After a Cycling AccidentPosted on July 17, 2013
The immediate aftermath of a cycling accident can be extremely stressful and overwhelming, especially if you are seriously injured by another cyclist or driver. Unfortunately, the way you act right after your collision can make or break your chances of receiving compensation for your cycling injuries.
While it can be tempting to put off taking any steps until you fully recover, you need to act quickly to get the justice you deserve. The following tips from the Cyclist at Law can help you deal with your accident in a way that will put you in control over your future.
- Get immediate medical help if anyone at the scene requires emergency treatment.
- Call the local police department to report your accident.
- Exchange personal and insurance information with every single individual who was involved in your accident. Do not leave the scene of the accident until you speak with the police and get all of the information you need to present the circumstances of your case at a later date.
- Do not discuss what you plan to do after your cycling accident or admit that you were at fault.
- In addition to writing down license plates, record the make and model of every vehicle that was involved in the collision. If you have a digital camera or a cell phone with a built-camera, take multiple pictures from different angles.
- Ask all witnesses for contact information. You may need their help in the future if there is an insurance dispute or if you decide to fight for a personal injury settlement.
- Keep paper records of all the expenses that result from your accident including bicycle repair fees, vehicle rental charges, medical bills and time lost at work.
- Call a bike accident or personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
It is common to get calls about insurance disputes after an accident, but you should avoid giving out any information until you talk to a qualified Dallas bike accident attorney.
If you have suffered serious cycling injuries and are not at fault, you may be interested in pursuing a personal injury settlement. Call the Cyclist at Law at 800-877-6188 to discuss your case and legal options with an experienced accident attorney.